Company: Westover Job Corps Center
Posted on: May 26, 2023
Position Career Counselor Reports To Career Services Manager
Department Career Services FLSA STATUS Exempt - Full Time Primary
Position Objectives Responsible for delivering counseling services
to assigned residential and non-residential students in personal
and social development, career employment, and behavior. - Provides
individual and group counseling and crisis intervention to all
students. Brief Description of Duties
- Administers leaves and passes in CIS to adhere to DOL
- Conducts individual counseling sessions at least monthly and
uses RAP format to document.
- Conducts group sessions as assigned.
- Enters monthly case-notes in CIS using RAP format.
- Assists students in seeking advanced training opportunities,
i.e., technical training or college admittance.
- Maintains and documents communications with parents, guardians
and Admissions Counselors in regard to the resolution of students'
- Establishes meaningful working relationships with other staff
members and acts as a resource person to help these individuals
deal positively with student behavior.
- Visits classrooms and dormitories to establish meaningful
working relationships with instructors and residential advisors and
acts as a liaison between students and these departments.
- Provides information to the Student Personnel Officer (SPO)
and, upon request, represents the students at review panels.
- Meets with SPO for consultation on individual and group
- Develops referrals and receives copies of all individual
progress reports and disciplinary hearings from instructors,
disciplinary officers, Residential Supervisors and other staff and
provides follow-up information.
- Serves as a member of committees to review policies and
procedures relating to the counseling program and the Center's
operation as directed.
- Facilitates, monitors and conducts Evaluations of Student
- Transports students to and from bus stations and other
scheduled appointments when necessary.
- Works toward meeting performance management goals that include:
% of completers, % of AWOL separations with HSD/GED; CTT
completion, CTT credential. -
- Conduct and document AWOL follow up by PRH requirements.
- Maintains updated monthly CIS case notes in required format on
- Follows CDSS plan and Code of Conduct system daily.
- Assists with quarterly graduation exercises.
- Adheres to required property control policies and
- Maintains good housekeeping in all areas and complies with
- Complies with all DOL guidelines, OFCCP regulation, Quality
Assurance Plan (QAP), Serrato policies and procedures, Job Corps
notices and bulletins, and Center policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates and abides by Serrato Corporation's core values
and operating principles.
- Models, mentors, monitors appropriate Career Success
- Participation in PRH mandated staff training is mandatory.
Failure to participate may result in disciplinary action up to and
including termination. -
- Perform other duties as assigned. Key Competencies Performance
Standards/Results Effective Communication
- Presents information both clearly and concisely and regularly
confirms correct interpretation of information.
- Very high standard of communication skills both written and
verbal for the presentation of facts and ideas.
- Shows professional non-verbal body language and actively
listens to others. - Organization of Work
- Action oriented. Demonstrates the ability to handle several
projects simultaneously with decision making, flexibility, and
- Implements the key principles of time management, task
allocation and priority assignment in addition to personal
- Shows attention to detail and ability to complete work with the
highest level of accuracy and efficiency.
- Continually seek ways to improve employment service provided
via development of professional skills and personal growth.
- Demonstrates professional interpersonal skills when interacting
with others. Abides by Serrato Corporation's Healthy Workplace
- Acts as a team player and builds professional relationships
with coworkers to achieve goals. - - - - - - Leadership &
- Ability to exceptionally manage and lead students from diverse
- Committed to investing in and developing students and
positioning them to succeed. -
- Mission-oriented and possesses a strategic vision. -
- Motivates students and provides coaching and/or feedback when
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word,
Power Point, Outlook, and Excel.
- Computer Literacy with basic computer functions, email,
internet, and basic programs such as Adobe Acrobat.
- High level of communication, interpersonal skills, and
- High level of ability to motivate, inspire, and counsel
students effectively. - Experience Minimum of one to two years
related experience in education. Education Bachelor's degree in
counseling, psychology or social work required. (including 15
semester hours of instruction in social services-related
instruction). Master's degree preferred. Certificates, Licenses,
- Valid State Driver's License. Physical Demands The physical
demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; to reach
with hands and arms; and talk and listen. The employee must be able
to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision
capabilities required by this job include close vision, distance
vision, and peripheral vision. Work Environment The work
environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. - While performing the duties of this job, the employee
is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise
level can vary from moderate to loud. Benefits Offered
- Paid Short Term / Long Term Disability and basic life
- Health care insurance available (medical, dental, vision,
critical illness, accident, HSA, and FSA)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- 401K -& 401K -Matching
- Tuition Reimbursement -
- Employee Assistance Counseling Service ProgramDisclaimers
- Serrato Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Serrato Corporation conducts background checks and drug
Keywords: Westover Job Corps Center, Chicopee , Career Counselor, Other , Chicopee, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...