Company: Westover Job Corps Center
Posted on: November 16, 2022
Position Academic Manager Reports To Career Development Director
Department Academics FLSA STATUS Exempt - Full Time Primary
Position Objectives Directs staff engaged in providing academic
training for all students and ensures departmental programs and
standards meet all DOL, PRH, Center and Serrato Corporation
requirements. Ensures that all classroom instruction is rigorous
and relevant. Collaborates with Career Technical Manager to provide
applied academics in the academic program. - Brief Description of
- Ensures approved curriculum is being taught; evaluates
curriculum and recommends changes as needed.
- Trains, assigns, and supervises the academic program.
- Supervises teaching in classroom and completes monthly
observations of each instructor, reviews with instructor and
behavior of each class. -
- Prepares and controls budget in cooperation with the Career
- Ensures an adequate supply of materials is on hand.
- Sets monthly production expectations (e.g. # of learning gains
and HSD/HSEs, # of Driver Licenses) for each instructor; reviews
attainment; develops corrective action plans as needed.
- Ensures proper records on students' progress, attendance, etc.,
are kept by instructors.
- Acquaints staff with their functional working relationships and
ensures staff carry them out.
- Helps instructors solve problems with students' control and
- Recommends the hiring and retention of certified instructors to
the Career Development Director.
- Makes provision for adjustment of class sizes to increase
utilization of staff members or to cover vacationing or absent
- Works toward meeting performance management goals.
- Follows CDSS plan and Code of Conduct system daily.
- Ensures that the Personal Career Development Plans (PCDP) is
used in a timely, continual, and effective manner to help support
- Conducts monthly audits (10%) of teacher prepared Evaluations
of Student Progress (ESP) to include timeliness and adequacy of
goals; audits testing records and procedures.
- Conducts monthly reconciliation of OMS20 and with CIS and
center records; initiates corrections as necessary.
- Conducts monthly audits of student progress, student absences
and negative indecent reports to determine staff training
- Coordinates center's academic advisory council.
- Contributes to the development of the center's annual career
development services system (CDSS) plan and SOPS/DOPS as
- Complies with all DOL guidelines, OFCCP regulation, Quality
Assurance Plan (QAP), Serrato policies and procedures, Job Corps
notices and bulletins, and Center policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates and abides by Serrato Corporation's core values
and operating principles.
- Assists with graduation exercises.
- Holds regular staff meetings at least twice a month with
instructors, documents meetings and submits documentation to the
Career Development Director.
- Screens and attempts to solve all student problems before
referring them to the Career Development Director and/or Center
Director or other areas.
- Models, mentors, monitors appropriate Career Success
- Helps students become more employable through continuous
- Evaluates personnel under his/her management and makes
recommendations regarding disciplinary actions, promotions, and/or
- Participates in PRH mandated staff training. Failure to
participate may result in disciplinary action up to and including
- Ensures that all CIS systems and information related to
Academics is recorded in a timely manner and data integrity is
- Works with the Career Development Director, Career Services
Manager, and Career Technical Education Manager to establish well
balanced classes in all training areas including CPP, Career Tech,
Academics, career readiness, work-based learning, community service
and student leadership positions.
- Directs and manages instructional program and supervises
operations and personnel at campus level. - Provides leadership
necessary to ensure high standards of instructional service in the
High School Diploma Program. Oversees compliance with policies,
success of instructional programs, and the operation of all campus
activities in accordance with standards established by the
Department of Labor, Job Corps, and the State Education Agency,
while providing quality services to students. -
- Adheres to required property control policies and
- Maintains good housekeeping in all areas and complies with
safety practices. -
- Perform other duties as assigned. Key Competencies Performance
Standards/Results Effective Communication
- Presents information both clearly and concisely and regularly
confirms correct interpretation of information.
- Very high standard of communication skills both written and
verbal for the presentation of facts and ideas.
- Shows professional non-verbal body language and actively
listens to others. - Organization of Work
- Action oriented. Demonstrates the ability to handle several
projects simultaneously with decision making, flexibility, and
- Implements the key principles of time management, task
allocation and priority assignment in addition to personal
- Shows attention to detail and ability to complete work with the
highest level of accuracy and efficiency.
- Continually seek ways to improve employment service provided
via development of professional skills and personal growth.
- Demonstrates professional interpersonal skills when interacting
with others. Abides by Serrato Corporation's Healthy Workplace
- Acts as a team player and builds professional relationships
with coworkers to achieve goals. - - - - - - Leadership &
- Ability to exceptionally manage and lead staff from diverse
- Committed to investing in and developing staff and positioning
them to succeed. -
- Mission-oriented and possesses a strategic vision. -
- Motivates staff and provides coaching and/or feedback when
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word,
Power Point, Outlook, and Excel.
- Computer literacy with basic computer functions, email,
internet, and basic programs such as Adobe Acrobat.
- High level of leadership and management skills.
- High level of communication, interpersonal skills, and
- Extensive knowledge of academic teaching practices. Experience
Minimum of two to three years related experience in education. One
to two years' supervisory experience required. Education Bachelor's
degree in education from a four-year college or university.
Master's degree in education preferred. Certificates, Licenses,
- Certified to teach in state in which center is located
(Regional Office may waive if center is unable to hire certified
teachers, but the candidate must pursue certification).
- Valid State Driver's License. Physical Demands The physical
demands described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of
this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to sit, stand, and walk; to reach with hands, arms, talk,
and listen. The employee is occasionally required to sit; to use
hands and fingers to handle or feel; to taste and to smell. The
employee must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision capabilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, and peripheral vision. Work
Environment The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. - While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The
noise level can vary from moderate to loud. Benefits Offered
- Paid Short Term / Long Term Disability and basic life
- Health care insurance available (medical, dental, vision,
critical illness, accident, HSA, and FSA)
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off
- 401K -& 401K -Matching
- Tuition Reimbursement -
- Employee Assistance Counseling Service ProgramDisclaimers
- Serrato Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Serrato Corporation conducts background checks and drug
Keywords: Westover Job Corps Center, Chicopee , Academic Manager, Executive , Chicopee, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!