Director of Finance
Company: University Emergency Medicine Foundation
Posted on: February 28, 2020
Director of Finance
Brown Emergency Medicine (Brown EM) is the academic emergency
medicine physician practice plan of the Department of Emergency
Medicine at the Alpert Medical School of Brown University. Brown EM
provides emergency department staffing for Rhode Island Hospital,
the only Level I trauma center in this region; Hasbro Children's
Hospital, Rhode Island's only children's specialty hospital; The
Miriam Hospital, a leading community teaching hospital and Newport
Hospital, a community Magnet Hospital. Brown EM member physicians
and providers treat over 250,000 patients per year at our 4
clinical sites, drawing patients from Rhode Island, Massachusetts
and Connecticut. As a non-profit foundation, Brown EM is committed
to its mission and vision of academic and research support. Brown
EM offers an excellent benefits package, including 85-90%
employer-paid medical and dental, vision, employer-paid life
insurance, long-term disability, paid time off, paid holidays and
generous 401(k) retirement plan.
Brown EM is looking for a full-time, 40 hour per week Director of
Finance who will be responsible for planning and overseeing
day-to-day operations of the Finance Department (Finance,
Accounting, Payroll & Retirement, Accounts Payable, Contract
Accounts Receivable, and others as needed). The Director of Finance
will establish appropriate performance standards and expectations
and will be responsible for preparing and monitoring the annual
budget and ensuring financial alignment with the Foundation's core
The Director of Finance will report to the Chief Administrative
Officer and will be based in Providence. Other responsibilities
- Provide support and consultation to the Board of Directors,
committees, physicians, and administrative leadership teams.
- Provide consultation on strategic, departmental, and
operational issues to the leadership team.
- Oversees the Foundation budgetary process to ensure proper
operational and capital planning; appropriate and efficient use of
resources; consistent compliance to budgetary and fiscal
- Keeps employees informed of current issues, including new
procedures, developments, and innovations. Maintains professional
growth and development through seminars, workshops, and
professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends in field
- Provides financial and risk management guidance, analysis, and
evaluation in the development of new programs and ventures.
- Set vision and overall goals for the Finance Department.
Ensures that the team has appropriate resources available.
- Ensures consistent leadership amongst managers. Promotes
effective communication and collaboration with all employees.
- Coach, motivate, develop, and provide guidance to direct
- Work with managers and direct reports on issues and
opportunities as they arise.
- Ensure that proper policies, procedures, and control framework
are in place to allow the group to operate effectively as well as
safeguard the assets of the Foundation.
- Maintain close working relationship with outside accounting
firm regarding annual audits, reviews, tax filings, and changes in
- Supervise external audits (Foundation and Retirement). Ensure
processes are in place to ensure clean audit opinions are completed
in a timely manner. Review work papers and set direction on
internal audit testing as appropriate.
- Maintain close working relationship with banks and investment
brokers, regarding cash and account management.
- Prepare financial analysis (monthly, quarterly, and annually)
highlighting results compared to the budget along with variance
analysis and commentary. Update annual projections based on changes
in the business as needed.
- Identifies appropriate internal controls for department and
provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance and
coordinates the annual audit or reviews, and preparation of 990
form with external auditing firm as needed.
- Develop new ad hoc reporting and analysis to better analyze
The qualifications for the position are:
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, or equivalent
discipline; Master's Degree preferred.
- Ten years' experience in financial operations management; four
plus years in healthcare preferred.
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to creatively problem
solve, and exemplary verbal, written, and interpersonal
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office
applications, spreadsheets, and database systems. Extensive
experience with Peachtree, Adaptive Insights, or similar general
ledger and business planning platforms required.
- Professional accreditation, such as CPA, CMA, or CHFP
Successful candidate must submit to a background release form,
demonstrate proof of being free from disqualifying information and
must possess a driver's license and access to an insured vehicle as
some transportation may be required.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably
accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may
exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to
the health and safety of themselves and others. Brown EM is an
equal opportunity employer. We strive to provide a workplace free
from harassment. For more information about Brown EM, please visit
our website at
Keywords: University Emergency Medicine Foundation, Chicopee , Director of Finance, Executive , Providence, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!